Skip to main content

The astonishing idea!

Exciting time in the bus to the fair!
I had the stupefying discovery in Spokane County Interstate Fair last Wednesday. It was the first time for me to go to fair in America, so I saw all the things which fascinated my interest. During summer vacation, I went to a summer fireworks festival in Ashiya city, but I am used to going to the Japanese festival. I didn't have more interesting things doing summer. However, I really like festivals, events and fair, so I was looking forward to going this fair. My teacher who is Brenda suggested that I tried to eat a elephant ear. When I have heard the first the name , so I doubted her words. I had never heard such a kind of food, I imagined a real elephant ear. I thought it was terrible food, I couldn't believe it. After I asked her many questions about the elephant ear, I knew this like a real elephant ear. I was really relieved. After all, I ate the elephant ear at the fair. It was very delicious. When I bought it, a shocking thing happened. I said the clerk " please, one elephant ear." The clerk answered " ear one, right?". I astonished the answer and amazing! Also, there are also strange foods in Japan such as mimigar. Mimi means ears in Japanese, and mimigar is a food name. This food is traditional food in Okinawa. It was made by pig's ears. However, we don't say "mimi, please.". If we said it, the Japanese clerk would be surprised. We generally don't say the name of body parts. Japanese people think it strange and horrible. The reason we feel horror is we may think it giving someone real ears. It makes you unpleasant, so you don't have to say the words which are related to body parts in Japan. The difference of thinking between American and Japanese is astonishing for me.