Skip to main content

My Unforgettable Memory in the Southwest

Do you know what the Southwest is like? Have you been there? From October 9th to October 14th, we extension students went to the Southwest to learn their cultures, traditions and so on, and I had an awesome time. Why? In the Southwest they have unique cultures and traditions. The architecture of the Southwest, Montezuma Castle and the Grand Canyon were, especially, totally interesting and impressive to me.

Fascinating architecture
First, the architecture of the Southwest was really fascinating. In Santa Fe, the architecture is very different. Houses and buildings were made of Adobe bricks which is a kind of clay used as building material and it looks quadrangle but the corners of the house and buildings were curved. When I saw that architecture for the first time, I was so surprised because I have never seen such houses, and although it looks heavy, the windows and doors were not broken for long time. In addition almost all houses in Santa Fe have such a unique style, so they looks stunning. I want to see them again.

Amazing Montezuma Castle
Second, the Montezuma Castle in Arizona was amazing. Until I saw it, I thought castles were very huge and looked gorgeous like Japanese ones and European ones. However, what I saw was totally different from what I expected. The castle is set into the cliff about 80 feet up from the base, so I could not believe that actually people lived in that house. I think it was already hard to carve the houses in the cliff but it was built in a very high place. I heard the interesting reasons they built their castle in such a place. They were to protect themselves from enemies and from floods, and also to use all land for farming. It was built in the early 1100s by the Sinagua which is one of the tribe names. I was surprised they made magnificent houses despite so long ago. That is why I thought it was absolutely interesting that people lived in the cliff so many years ago. I am glad to learn such an awesome history.

Awesome Grand Canyon
Third, the Grand canyon made me really speechless. I was really impressed the scenery. It was magnificent and stunning, so I will never forget the scenery. We could see the stratums and many animals. I was overwhelmed by the greatness of the nature of the Grand Canyon. I went cycling for about five hours. It was the nice weather so I felt comfortable. Almost all the time I watched the scenery while I rode the bicycle but I was never tired of it. It was completely awesome especially the sunrise and sunset, Grand canyon was getting red and it was incredibly beautiful. I will never forget it.

To sum up, these three things, the architecture, Montezuma Castle and Grand canyon were amazingly wonderful. I am glad to learn many interesting cultures, traditions and so on from the Southwest. There are a lot of differences and their cultures traditions and histories were absolutely unique. This trip was an unforgettable memory for me and I want to learn about other culture and also I want to go there again someday.

Popular posts from this blog

Unforgettable Southwest Trip

I went on a totally amazing Southwest trip with my classmates. The trip was my first time to go to the Southwest so everything was new to me. Sarah, Anikke and Bethany came with us. They made our trip more exciting. I’m happy I could go on this trip with them and I had a lot of great experiences. First, I really enjoyed New Mexico. It was chilly but not too cold. I went to the Old Town in  Albuquerque, New Mexico. I liked the Old Town because there are many cute things and good restaurants in there. For example, I found a gate that was decorated with a lot of red chili peppers. I had never seen anything like that before so I was very surprised and it looked like a lot of flowers from a distance. The red chili peppers were absolutely gorgeous. Not only that, I found a great restaurant. I forgot the name of the restaurant but they have really delicious Mexican food. They gave me some Mexican chips for free and recommended that I eat the chips with honey. I really like Mexican chip

My most Amazing Three Memories of the Southwest Trip

Last week, I went to the Southwest with all of the Extension students. Before the trip, we learned about history and culture of the Southwest in American west class. So I was looking forward to going on the Southwest trip. But I couldn’t imagine that I could get a lot of memories and experiences on this trip. During this time, we went to New Mexico and Arizona. In New Mexico, I went to Santa Fe and New Mexico University. After that, I went to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Each place has different culture and geography. So I was really surprised and impressed by them. Finally, I got three most amazing memories of the Southwest Trip. First, one of my most amazing memories of South West Trip was downtown in Santa Fe. First of all, I was really impressed by Adobe buildings. I had never seen Adobe buildings before and I thought their design was totally different design from Spokane. The color of the adobe was brown and some of the walls were turquoise blue. So there were a lot of com

Really Faburous Southwest Trip

I had an absolutely amazing experience on the Southwest trip in mid-October. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city areas, delicious food and performances, and culture. I spent a lot of wonderful time with my friends and teachers in Santa Fe, Black Bart’s Restaurant and the Grand Canyon. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city, delicious food and performance, and culture. First, my one of impressive places was Santa Fe Plaza. There were brown houses and buildings made of adobe, and the doors and window frames and decorations were colorful. I like passionate red and turquoise blue color because these colors match the adobe brown color. Also, there were many gift shops in the Plaza, and we could find a lot of native Americans gifts such as dream catchers, pottery, fabrics, unique fashion accessories, dishes, and traditional clothes. I bought a dreamcatcher, some pretty earrings, a ring, and postcards, so I was very happy. It rained at nig