Skip to main content

My Terrific Portland Trip

I went to Portland from November 10th to 13th. It was awesome and exciting for me to visit Portland. I could not only enjoy going shopping and eating delicious food but also learn American history. I especially enjoyed the largest bookstore Powell’s City of Books, magnificent scenery of Multnomah Falls and beautiful downtown of Portland.

A Lot of Books!
First of all, Powell’s City of Books was surprising bookstore for me. Before I visited Portland, some teachers told me this bookstore is large and fun. I looked forward to going to Powell’s City of Books before Portland trip had started. When I entered the store, it was thronged with a lot of people. I have never seen this situation before, so I was surprised. Powell’s City of Books is the largest independent new and used bookstore in the world. It was founded in 1971, is opened 365 days a year. Powell’s buys around 3,000 used books a day! I bought two books, “Charlie and the chocolate factory” and “Harry Potter and the sorcerer’s stone”. I have watched Charlie and the chocolate factory and Harry Potter and the sorcerer’s stone, but I have never read those books. I was lucky to buy them because if I bought English books in Japan, price would be more expensive. I’m looking forward to reading two books after I read another book which is homework for reading class. I can’t wait until homework finished. There were a lot of kinds section such as novels, cookbooks, picture books, photographic collections, textbooks and miscellaneous goods. In addition, there was coffee shop in the bookstore. Many people enjoyed drinking coffee and eating cakes, reading some books. It was impossible to see all books for limited time, so I want to go there again as soon as possible!

Wonderful Scenery of Waterfall
Second, I was impressed by Multnomah Falls. It is a waterfall on the Oregon side of the Columbia River and the second tallest year-round waterfall in the United States. When I saw it, I was surprised because of large scale. I have seen small waterfalls. However, I have never seen tall waterfall like Multnomah Falls and I seldom go to see waterfalls in Japan. Multnomah Falls was more wonderful than I had expected. It was amazing scenery for me. I took a lot of beautiful pictures with my awesome group members. When I went to Multnomah Falls, the weather was not good, so if I visited there again, I hope that the weather will be nice. This is the first time that I was moved by scenery of waterfall.

Great Old Town



Finally, I like downtown of Portland. I ate doughnut at Voodoo doughnut. I waited in a long line in order to buy famous doughnut. Inside of shop was colorful and cute. Doughnut which I bought was so delicious. I want to eat it again! After eating doughnut, I went to Saturday market. There were many crafts. I think that these were similar to the Southwest’s crafts. Crafts were dainty and beautiful. There were a lot of travelers who are from all over the world. Furthermore, I bought a lot of souvenirs such as lipsticks, fragrance and T-shirts at some malls because Portland has no tax! I enjoyed going shopping there. If I were millionaire, I would buy many things! And townscape of Portland was wonderful and gorgeous because many buildings have illuminations. I thought that townscape of Portland was very different from Santa Fe where I visited last month during the Southwest trip. There were many historical buildings in Santa Fe. On the other hand, there were modern building and arts in Portland. I thought there were a lot of young people in Portland unlike Santa Fe. Downtown of Portland is one of my favorite places.

Portland trip was fascinating memory. This trip was the last trip for Extension students. If I didn’t apply for Extension program, I can’t definitely go nice places, see great nature and learn American history with wonderful Extension students. I was happy that I am one of the Extension students and had irreplaceable experience. I heard that Portland is the best place to live in the United States. I agree with this opinion because I could feel natural nature and fun unlike my hometown even though the weather is not good. I would like to visit Portland someday.

Popular posts from this blog

Unforgettable Southwest Trip

I went on a totally amazing Southwest trip with my classmates. The trip was my first time to go to the Southwest so everything was new to me. Sarah, Anikke and Bethany came with us. They made our trip more exciting. I’m happy I could go on this trip with them and I had a lot of great experiences. First, I really enjoyed New Mexico. It was chilly but not too cold. I went to the Old Town in  Albuquerque, New Mexico. I liked the Old Town because there are many cute things and good restaurants in there. For example, I found a gate that was decorated with a lot of red chili peppers. I had never seen anything like that before so I was very surprised and it looked like a lot of flowers from a distance. The red chili peppers were absolutely gorgeous. Not only that, I found a great restaurant. I forgot the name of the restaurant but they have really delicious Mexican food. They gave me some Mexican chips for free and recommended that I eat the chips with honey. I really like Mexican chip

My most Amazing Three Memories of the Southwest Trip

Last week, I went to the Southwest with all of the Extension students. Before the trip, we learned about history and culture of the Southwest in American west class. So I was looking forward to going on the Southwest trip. But I couldn’t imagine that I could get a lot of memories and experiences on this trip. During this time, we went to New Mexico and Arizona. In New Mexico, I went to Santa Fe and New Mexico University. After that, I went to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Each place has different culture and geography. So I was really surprised and impressed by them. Finally, I got three most amazing memories of the Southwest Trip. First, one of my most amazing memories of South West Trip was downtown in Santa Fe. First of all, I was really impressed by Adobe buildings. I had never seen Adobe buildings before and I thought their design was totally different design from Spokane. The color of the adobe was brown and some of the walls were turquoise blue. So there were a lot of com

Really Faburous Southwest Trip

I had an absolutely amazing experience on the Southwest trip in mid-October. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city areas, delicious food and performances, and culture. I spent a lot of wonderful time with my friends and teachers in Santa Fe, Black Bart’s Restaurant and the Grand Canyon. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city, delicious food and performance, and culture. First, my one of impressive places was Santa Fe Plaza. There were brown houses and buildings made of adobe, and the doors and window frames and decorations were colorful. I like passionate red and turquoise blue color because these colors match the adobe brown color. Also, there were many gift shops in the Plaza, and we could find a lot of native Americans gifts such as dream catchers, pottery, fabrics, unique fashion accessories, dishes, and traditional clothes. I bought a dreamcatcher, some pretty earrings, a ring, and postcards, so I was very happy. It rained at nig