Skip to main content

The Unforgettable Trip - Haluna Nakatsuka

The Unforgettable Trip
Haluna Nakatsuka

I traveled to the Southwest with Extension students and teachers for seven days. Honestly, I didn’t have an interest in this trip that much. However, I learned about America’s deep history, touched a lot of nature, and spoke English a lot during the trip. This trip was absolutely super special.

C:\Users\halun\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCacheContent.Word\Acoma Pueblo.jpg
Acoma Pueblo - Sky City
First of all, I learned about America’s deep history. I studied the world history when I was a high school student, so I knew a part of American history. However, I didn’t know the history around New Mexico and Arizona. One of the interesting history is that the people of New Mexico traveled a long journey riding on the horses with a lot of heavy things which they needed. The end of Santa Fe trail is The Plaza in Santa Fe. There are many outside shops that sells handmade jewelry and arts made by Native American who are relatives in The Plaza. The sunset view of the city was beautiful. Another place with a lot of history is Acoma Pueblo. There is known as “Sky City” because it sits on the high place of the mesa. The people still live there without water and electricity. The buildings are made by real adobe which is made from earth and organic material. The city has nothing special, however, the scenery I’ve never seen anywhere else is beautiful. I had never heard about these two places and their history. I appreciated having studied the history, I enjoyed the places a lot.

The Grand Canyon from the airplane
Second, I touched a lot of nature. Because I live in the city, I hardly touch and see any scenery. However, I touched nature every day and thought nature was great during the trip. Especially, the Grand Canyon was amazing. I can’t imagine the Earth has been here so long. I always wondered how everything was formed. I was overwhelmed by the beautiful scenery. Views are always different depending on where I see them from. The color of the sky, rocks and trees look beautiful more than usual. The wind is cool. People are very tiny compared to the Grand Canyon. I watched the sun set and the sun rise from the Grand Canyon. While watching the sun rise, I felt excitement to have free time to explore the Grand Canyon. I was given energy of the day. I spent a crisp morning. Watching the sun set, I felt sad because it meant it was the end of the fantastic day. I walked a lot that day. I enjoyed talking with my group friends, learning the Grand Canyon and feeling the great nature. I usually don’t enjoy being in nature but I liked nature during this trip. I learned to respect nature.

My friends of group 3
Third, I spoke English a lot. It was nice to take a break from school but still learn about American history, and only having to speak English. Thanks to my best friend Anna and my group friends, I always enjoyed speaking English. Even in the hotel, Anna and I spoke English. I am always stimulated by her. I learned a lot of new things from her. We played many games, such as Taboo and Charades. The games had a lot of new vocabulary for us. We learned a lot, but also had fun. Also, my group friends spoke English a lot. It was sometimes hard to say what we really wanted. We stayed together every day, but we didn’t have any trouble. When I visited Laguna/Acoma school, the students were interested in our own language. Then they asked me to speak English. However, I rarely spoke Japanese during the trip. While I chatted with my friend in Japanese to show them, I felt uncomfortable. I spoke very strong Kansai dialect unusually. That was ridiculous. Thanks to speaking EO, I was filled with a sense of achievement. Thanks to it, the trip became more awesome.

This trip became a priceless memory in my life. I learned, saw, touched, heard and felt many things. I also met and talked with many people. I visited many places. If I had not been an Extension student, I would have never visited these places. I am lucky to have visited because I may never have the opportunity to again. Thanks to my friends and teachers, I had a great time more times or dozens of times than I expected. I really enjoyed learning about America’s deep history, touching great nature and speaking English only. All of them made this trip super wonderful.

Popular posts from this blog

Unforgettable Southwest Trip

I went on a totally amazing Southwest trip with my classmates. The trip was my first time to go to the Southwest so everything was new to me. Sarah, Anikke and Bethany came with us. They made our trip more exciting. I’m happy I could go on this trip with them and I had a lot of great experiences. First, I really enjoyed New Mexico. It was chilly but not too cold. I went to the Old Town in  Albuquerque, New Mexico. I liked the Old Town because there are many cute things and good restaurants in there. For example, I found a gate that was decorated with a lot of red chili peppers. I had never seen anything like that before so I was very surprised and it looked like a lot of flowers from a distance. The red chili peppers were absolutely gorgeous. Not only that, I found a great restaurant. I forgot the name of the restaurant but they have really delicious Mexican food. They gave me some Mexican chips for free and recommended that I eat the chips with honey. I really like Mexican chip

My most Amazing Three Memories of the Southwest Trip

Last week, I went to the Southwest with all of the Extension students. Before the trip, we learned about history and culture of the Southwest in American west class. So I was looking forward to going on the Southwest trip. But I couldn’t imagine that I could get a lot of memories and experiences on this trip. During this time, we went to New Mexico and Arizona. In New Mexico, I went to Santa Fe and New Mexico University. After that, I went to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Each place has different culture and geography. So I was really surprised and impressed by them. Finally, I got three most amazing memories of the Southwest Trip. First, one of my most amazing memories of South West Trip was downtown in Santa Fe. First of all, I was really impressed by Adobe buildings. I had never seen Adobe buildings before and I thought their design was totally different design from Spokane. The color of the adobe was brown and some of the walls were turquoise blue. So there were a lot of com

Really Faburous Southwest Trip

I had an absolutely amazing experience on the Southwest trip in mid-October. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city areas, delicious food and performances, and culture. I spent a lot of wonderful time with my friends and teachers in Santa Fe, Black Bart’s Restaurant and the Grand Canyon. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city, delicious food and performance, and culture. First, my one of impressive places was Santa Fe Plaza. There were brown houses and buildings made of adobe, and the doors and window frames and decorations were colorful. I like passionate red and turquoise blue color because these colors match the adobe brown color. Also, there were many gift shops in the Plaza, and we could find a lot of native Americans gifts such as dream catchers, pottery, fabrics, unique fashion accessories, dishes, and traditional clothes. I bought a dreamcatcher, some pretty earrings, a ring, and postcards, so I was very happy. It rained at nig