Skip to main content

My Best Memories of the Southwest Trip

From October 12 to 18, 2015, we Extension students went to the Southwest. We visited New Mexico and Arizona. The Southwest has a very different climate and culture from Japan and Spokane because it is a very dry area. Therefore we could see many kind of plants and animals, and we ate spicy food every day, and learned history and culture. This trip was very exciting and interesting for me. This is my best memory in my life. We experienced a lot of new thing, such as the Grand Canyon and the University of New Mexico, and I ate Mexican food for the first time.

Beautiful Grand Canyon
First of all, on the Southwest trip, my best memory is of course the Grand Canyon. I love world heritage. And seeing the Grand Canyon was my dream from childhood. Therefore in this trip, my dream came true. Actually, the weather was not good condition because Grand Canyon day had mostly rain or foggy, but I was very impressed by the Grand Canyon. It was very mysterious and beautiful. And when I saw this scenery, I was really impressed by beautiful Grand Canyon. Actually, I don't like high places, but I thought that the earth is very vast and I felt as if I could fly like a bird. My friends also said that. Surprisingly, before visiting the Grand Canyon, one friend said "the Grand Canyon is just a cliff. I don't interested in cliff” But actually, when she saw the Grand Canyon, she cried. It is a very funny story. And we realized again that the Grand Canyon has wonderful power that attracts and impresses people. Actually, it changed my friend's sensibility and made us feel cozy. While looking at the Grand Canyon, we could forget about a lot of homework. At the Grand Canyon, I bought many souvenirs such as post cards, key holders, posters, and calendars for my family, friends, and my host family. But I thought photos that we took are the best good souvenirs for my family. Therefore, we took a lot of pictures. I bring my favorite rabbit doll and took pictures together with it. My friend also took pictures with her favorite doll like me. When I realized it, I had been taken about 250 pictures. I was really surprised. I wanted to convey my impression to my family and friends with my pictures. But actually, I noticed that I can't convey my impression with just pictures. Unless we go to the Grand Canyon by our self, we can't be impressed by the Grand Canyon. I really recommend you visit the Grand Canyon once.

Secondly, the University of New Mexico is full of memories for me. At first, when I saw the buildings, I was very surprised because the shape of these buildings was very difficult form usual university buildings. It looked like Pueblo. Pueblo is Southwest' traditional buildings. In addition, there was a big hall there. In this hall, music concerts are often held. I felt jealousy. Before lunch time, we interacted with many UNM students. Their major was Japanese and every one could speak Japanese fluently and they liked Japanese culture such as history, tradition, music, and so on. On the other hand, our major is English. Therefore when we asked questions to the UNM students in English, they answered in Japanese. At the same times, when they asked questions to us in Japanese, we answered in English. Therefore, during this time, our nationality changed. It was so funny. At lunch time, my friends and I ate lunch with one UNM student. In this university, there are many kinds of meals such as pizza, grilled chicken, Chinese food, and so on. And In addition, we could eat lunch for free. Therefore, I ate a lot of food until I was full. During lunch time, we talked a lot. According to her, she is studying Japanese a little and she likes Japanese Manga, and surprisingly, she will come to Japan and study for four months as an exchange student in Waseda University in Tokyo. When we heard about it, we were surprised because this university is one of the cleverest universities in Japan. Absolutely, she is very smart. She will go to next spring, so we promised to meet and hang out together. We will guide her and introduce her to Japan. We were so excited and we are really looking forward to seeing her in Japan. She was very cute and kind. And this university was very exciting. I really enjoined the University of New Mexico.

Mexican food
The last is really delicious Mexican food restaurant. During the trip, we went to a lot of restaurants and ate Mexican food every day. At the first dinner, I ate Mexican food for the first time. I ordered Mexican steak. It was very delicious, but it was a little spicy. It was a taste for adults. Throughout the Southwest trip, I noticed that in this area, clerks always serve nachos to us before ordering, and after eating, they serve honey bread as desert for us, and surprisingly it is for free. I like nachos very much, so I ate a lot before the meal. As a result, when my meal was served, I had already been full. Oh my god! But this system is very wonderful. For the second day's dinner, we ate Mexican food at the Cowgirl Restaurant. I like this restaurant because the staff was very kind and funny. Of course, the meal was very delicious. In this restaurant, we ate tortillas. I like tortillas very much. While eating, we talked with our teacher Ron about many topics like conversation class. We had a very great time. After going back to Spokane, my friends and I often eat nachos. Mexican food is very delicious!

After returning to our usual life style, I can't get out from travel feeling such as exciting because the Southwest trip was very awesome. The Southwest trip is my best and wonderful memory. I will not forget this wonderful memory forever. I want to talk about it to my family as soon as possible and next I want to visit the Southwest with my family.

Popular posts from this blog

Unforgettable Southwest Trip

I went on a totally amazing Southwest trip with my classmates. The trip was my first time to go to the Southwest so everything was new to me. Sarah, Anikke and Bethany came with us. They made our trip more exciting. I’m happy I could go on this trip with them and I had a lot of great experiences. First, I really enjoyed New Mexico. It was chilly but not too cold. I went to the Old Town in  Albuquerque, New Mexico. I liked the Old Town because there are many cute things and good restaurants in there. For example, I found a gate that was decorated with a lot of red chili peppers. I had never seen anything like that before so I was very surprised and it looked like a lot of flowers from a distance. The red chili peppers were absolutely gorgeous. Not only that, I found a great restaurant. I forgot the name of the restaurant but they have really delicious Mexican food. They gave me some Mexican chips for free and recommended that I eat the chips with honey. I really like Mexican chip

My most Amazing Three Memories of the Southwest Trip

Last week, I went to the Southwest with all of the Extension students. Before the trip, we learned about history and culture of the Southwest in American west class. So I was looking forward to going on the Southwest trip. But I couldn’t imagine that I could get a lot of memories and experiences on this trip. During this time, we went to New Mexico and Arizona. In New Mexico, I went to Santa Fe and New Mexico University. After that, I went to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Each place has different culture and geography. So I was really surprised and impressed by them. Finally, I got three most amazing memories of the Southwest Trip. First, one of my most amazing memories of South West Trip was downtown in Santa Fe. First of all, I was really impressed by Adobe buildings. I had never seen Adobe buildings before and I thought their design was totally different design from Spokane. The color of the adobe was brown and some of the walls were turquoise blue. So there were a lot of com

Really Faburous Southwest Trip

I had an absolutely amazing experience on the Southwest trip in mid-October. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city areas, delicious food and performances, and culture. I spent a lot of wonderful time with my friends and teachers in Santa Fe, Black Bart’s Restaurant and the Grand Canyon. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city, delicious food and performance, and culture. First, my one of impressive places was Santa Fe Plaza. There were brown houses and buildings made of adobe, and the doors and window frames and decorations were colorful. I like passionate red and turquoise blue color because these colors match the adobe brown color. Also, there were many gift shops in the Plaza, and we could find a lot of native Americans gifts such as dream catchers, pottery, fabrics, unique fashion accessories, dishes, and traditional clothes. I bought a dreamcatcher, some pretty earrings, a ring, and postcards, so I was very happy. It rained at nig