Skip to main content

Completely Different World

Cute Adobe
We, MFWI Extension students went on a wonderful trip to South West, in America from October 12th to 18th. It was really amazing. Southwest is also in America, however, I felt as if I were in different country. Everything was quite different from of course Japan and even America, especially the architecture, people, and scenery.

First of all, we can see cute Adobe architecture everywhere. Adobe architecture features round edges and the color of walls are earth color and turquoise color. It comes from the idea of mother earth and father sky. I don't know why, yet I feel comfortable and I felt a sense of relief to see them. Surprisingly, there are some colors of the earth color, deep ones, a little dark ones, various reds, and something like that. I didn't find the difference, though. In addition, there are not only traditional buildings, but also modern buildings, including ordinary people's houses. The most surprising thing is we need permission from the government to build the new house. They examine a few things, such as "Is it a suitable color?” "Is it used Adobe architecture?”. I think this is a very good way to continue tradition. Unfortunately, Japan is not keeping up our tradition, I think. I heard a lot of foreigners feel disappointed because the Japanese architecture is quite different from their images. It is because they have an interest to Japan from the comic book or TV shows. Keeping traditions is difficult, however, it is the most important thing. I am inspired by the Adobe architecture and the people's spirit toward their traditions.

With Native American
Native American Dance
Secondly, I met a lot of Native Americans during the trip. I was surprised that they were very different from my image of American people or Native people. They don't have bronze hair, blue eyes, nor were ethnic costume, made from animals' skin. They have black hair, black eyes, and wear similar cloth as us. However, language was the problem for me. I can enjoy talking with native speakers, such as my host family, and teachers, however, I couldn't communicate with Native Americans very well. I couldn't understand exactly what they said and they also couldn't understand what I said at all. They have their own 5 languages, Tewa, Tiwa, Navajo, and Hopi. This is the traditional language for them, but they learn them from their family. They also speak English, however they have strong dialects. I cannot explain about it, however, it was quite difficult to communicate with them. They said that they speak English with their friends. This is because their native language is different from each other. Since I have never used different language for different purpose, this is interesting for me. At the Native Americans' high school, students show us their Native American dance. It was a little bit difficult for me to understand the storyline, however I was fascinated by them so much.

Rode Bicycle!!
Great Scenery
Above all, I cannot forget the amazing scenery from the Grand Canyon! I was inspired by the scenery so much. I cannot explain how beautiful it is. I was not interested in the scenery before, but it changed my view completely. We had a lot of free time on the 2nd day of the Grand Canyon, so we could do some activities. I rented a bicycle and did cycling! It was super fun and enjoyable!! This was the first time to ride an all-out bicycle, so I felt nervous before I started. However, at the moment we started, the anxiety had gone and I was filled with joy. What is better, since there is a cycling course, we could see the special scenery from the high point. I feel so sorry that I cannot explain because of a lack of my vocabulary. I cannot believe that there is such an amazing place in the world!! While riding on the bicycle, we could see the rainbow! We are so lucky girls.

Anyway, I really enjoyed my Southwest trip. The trip expanded my world and changed my way of thinking. I think knowing different culture thorough studying culture is very interesting. I am sure that it helps me in a lot in many ways. This trip taught me that there is a lot of culture and a lot of differences. I want to extend my view to know the different world.

Popular posts from this blog

Unforgettable Southwest Trip

I went on a totally amazing Southwest trip with my classmates. The trip was my first time to go to the Southwest so everything was new to me. Sarah, Anikke and Bethany came with us. They made our trip more exciting. I’m happy I could go on this trip with them and I had a lot of great experiences. First, I really enjoyed New Mexico. It was chilly but not too cold. I went to the Old Town in  Albuquerque, New Mexico. I liked the Old Town because there are many cute things and good restaurants in there. For example, I found a gate that was decorated with a lot of red chili peppers. I had never seen anything like that before so I was very surprised and it looked like a lot of flowers from a distance. The red chili peppers were absolutely gorgeous. Not only that, I found a great restaurant. I forgot the name of the restaurant but they have really delicious Mexican food. They gave me some Mexican chips for free and recommended that I eat the chips with honey. I really like Mexican chip

My most Amazing Three Memories of the Southwest Trip

Last week, I went to the Southwest with all of the Extension students. Before the trip, we learned about history and culture of the Southwest in American west class. So I was looking forward to going on the Southwest trip. But I couldn’t imagine that I could get a lot of memories and experiences on this trip. During this time, we went to New Mexico and Arizona. In New Mexico, I went to Santa Fe and New Mexico University. After that, I went to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Each place has different culture and geography. So I was really surprised and impressed by them. Finally, I got three most amazing memories of the Southwest Trip. First, one of my most amazing memories of South West Trip was downtown in Santa Fe. First of all, I was really impressed by Adobe buildings. I had never seen Adobe buildings before and I thought their design was totally different design from Spokane. The color of the adobe was brown and some of the walls were turquoise blue. So there were a lot of com

Really Faburous Southwest Trip

I had an absolutely amazing experience on the Southwest trip in mid-October. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city areas, delicious food and performances, and culture. I spent a lot of wonderful time with my friends and teachers in Santa Fe, Black Bart’s Restaurant and the Grand Canyon. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city, delicious food and performance, and culture. First, my one of impressive places was Santa Fe Plaza. There were brown houses and buildings made of adobe, and the doors and window frames and decorations were colorful. I like passionate red and turquoise blue color because these colors match the adobe brown color. Also, there were many gift shops in the Plaza, and we could find a lot of native Americans gifts such as dream catchers, pottery, fabrics, unique fashion accessories, dishes, and traditional clothes. I bought a dreamcatcher, some pretty earrings, a ring, and postcards, so I was very happy. It rained at nig