Skip to main content

Amazing Portland Trip

Portland trip was an absolutely precious trip to learn, feel and touch with different culture.

First of all, visiting the Portland English Language Academy (PELA) was a beneficial time and a great opportunity to learn different country’s culture. My partner from at PELA students was a man who was from Saudi Arabia. He taught me some information about his country’s special culture which I had never heard. First, in Saudi Arabia, a school is completely divided by the same sex. For example, there are schools for only males or for only females in Saudi Arabia. Therefore, it is new for him to take a class with female students in the same. However, I was wondering how Arabic men made their girlfriends or wives. According to him, in Saudi Arabian culture, the touching between men and women is not allowed and they can’t meet each other until they get married. My partner was married but he had never had a girlfriend in his life, because his faith which we can have only wife was very strong. I felt their different and strong religion.


Next, it was a wonderful time to talk with warm and friendly people and I realize a great point of a market at the Portland Saturday Market. There were various kinds of hand-made merchandise and friendly sellers. I was impressed by the seller’s warm attitude and their hand-made works. I was aware of good points of a market unlike a franchise chain store. For example, each work was only one in the world, and it was more comfortable to have conversation with the sellers. Some stuffs were creative and other ones are recycled such as old record jackets or CDs. I tried to talk with sellers as much as possible and I asked why they had started to make them. Their warm attitudes and friendly minds made me feel comfortable and impressive.

Next, watching a game at Portland State University was a fabulous opportunity to feel different culture. Volleyball is one of my favorite sports, and also it’s my first time to watch a live American college volleyball game, therefore, I really enjoyed it. The game was high level and very exciting, moreover, a cheering style of spectators was amazing. Especially after a team got a point, the atmosphere in the stadium and the passion of the viewers were fantastic. Mostly I heard the following phrases during the game for cheering, including “Come on ladies! Go Vicks! Keep going!” These cheerful voices made me excited. In addition to that, during the time out, there were some fun entertainment such as a dancing, a game and candy catching. I felt it was American style which everyone can enjoy the game.

Finally, during this trip I learned great culture differences by feeling, touching, talking and watching, and it benefited me very much.
 


Popular posts from this blog

Unforgettable Southwest Trip

I went on a totally amazing Southwest trip with my classmates. The trip was my first time to go to the Southwest so everything was new to me. Sarah, Anikke and Bethany came with us. They made our trip more exciting. I’m happy I could go on this trip with them and I had a lot of great experiences. First, I really enjoyed New Mexico. It was chilly but not too cold. I went to the Old Town in  Albuquerque, New Mexico. I liked the Old Town because there are many cute things and good restaurants in there. For example, I found a gate that was decorated with a lot of red chili peppers. I had never seen anything like that before so I was very surprised and it looked like a lot of flowers from a distance. The red chili peppers were absolutely gorgeous. Not only that, I found a great restaurant. I forgot the name of the restaurant but they have really delicious Mexican food. They gave me some Mexican chips for free and recommended that I eat the chips with honey. I really like Mexican chip

Really Faburous Southwest Trip

I had an absolutely amazing experience on the Southwest trip in mid-October. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city areas, delicious food and performances, and culture. I spent a lot of wonderful time with my friends and teachers in Santa Fe, Black Bart’s Restaurant and the Grand Canyon. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city, delicious food and performance, and culture. First, my one of impressive places was Santa Fe Plaza. There were brown houses and buildings made of adobe, and the doors and window frames and decorations were colorful. I like passionate red and turquoise blue color because these colors match the adobe brown color. Also, there were many gift shops in the Plaza, and we could find a lot of native Americans gifts such as dream catchers, pottery, fabrics, unique fashion accessories, dishes, and traditional clothes. I bought a dreamcatcher, some pretty earrings, a ring, and postcards, so I was very happy. It rained at nig

My Valuable Southwest Trip

Last week, we took a trip to the Southwest for 7 days. This trip was an absolutely wonderful memory. I had never been to these areas so I was stimulated by every things, for example, cactus, adobe style buildings, Native American culture and amazing dessert views. It is one of the most interesting trips I ever took, because I experienced some rare things like visiting Grand Canyon, visiting high school and so on. On this trip I could understand about Indian culture from a folk art museum. I would like to introduce some my best memories on this Southwest trip. My first best memory is Georgia O’Keef museum. Actually, before this trip, I was not familiar with her and didn’t know about any of her artworks, but I was looking forward to visiting here because I like art museums. Her artworks were very unique, abstract and absolutely fabulous, and these were very fresh to me. I especially liked bone’s paintings which one of the most famous her artwork, because the color contrast is very c