Skip to main content

How I Felt on the Portland Trip

The Portland trip was one of the delightful events in the semester for me. I was looking forward to doing many things on the trip, and things that I experienced and learned were invaluable for me. Also there were many kinds of American culture such as, people, arts and history. All of them gave me a strong impact and whenever I learned new things, I was extremely excited. There were three topics were Columbia Basin College (CBC), the Japanese-American Memorial and Powell's City of Books. These places were especially impressive for me.

             To tell the truth, I had been really excited to visit CBC, before I went there. I had a friend in the college and I knew that I was able to see her at the school. The friend came to Mukogawa Fort Right Institute last semester as a trip and I talked to her for a long time, so I was extremely glad when I saw her at the college. I talked about my topic and it was the first time to talk about my topic to an American student, so I worried about whether she understand my topic or not. However she was interested in my topic and asked me many interesting questions. Also she talked to me her future dream and I encouraged her. It was a valuable time for me.

             Next, I got a strong impact at the Japanese-American Memorial. This memorial was built for Japanese American people who had to live in some camps during the Second World War. Sawing the memorial was a very meaningful time, because the memorial appealed to me how they felt in that time. There were stones, engraved with short poems and it was the first time to see poems in memorials. I felt anger and sadness from most of them, but one of the poems expressed the hope. I think the author wanted to write the happiness of returning to the author's home. Actually I didn't know about Japanese-American, before I studied about this, so I realized how hard it was for them to live in that time. I think this memorial was a necessary thing for Japanese people and American people.

             Finally, Powell's City of Books was an amazing place for me. There were a lot of books which were not only old books, but also new books. I love reading books, so I like to go to book stores in America, but this store is the best book store in my life. I think it is a rare case that old books and new books are in the same book store. I found some books which related to my research topic. I was surprised because my topic was quite a specific thing of Japan, so I realized how big this book store was.

  As you can see, the Portland trip taught me many things and it was a precious memory for me. I want to keep in my memory how I felt when I found new things. It was sad, hard, happy, and amazing. Also these feelings are connected to my knowledge. In this trip I had many feelings, and each feeling was important for me, so I am proud of learning American culture on the Portland trip.
Source: Ayumi Kotsuji

Popular posts from this blog

Unforgettable Southwest Trip

I went on a totally amazing Southwest trip with my classmates. The trip was my first time to go to the Southwest so everything was new to me. Sarah, Anikke and Bethany came with us. They made our trip more exciting. I’m happy I could go on this trip with them and I had a lot of great experiences. First, I really enjoyed New Mexico. It was chilly but not too cold. I went to the Old Town in  Albuquerque, New Mexico. I liked the Old Town because there are many cute things and good restaurants in there. For example, I found a gate that was decorated with a lot of red chili peppers. I had never seen anything like that before so I was very surprised and it looked like a lot of flowers from a distance. The red chili peppers were absolutely gorgeous. Not only that, I found a great restaurant. I forgot the name of the restaurant but they have really delicious Mexican food. They gave me some Mexican chips for free and recommended that I eat the chips with honey. I really like Mexican chip

My most Amazing Three Memories of the Southwest Trip

Last week, I went to the Southwest with all of the Extension students. Before the trip, we learned about history and culture of the Southwest in American west class. So I was looking forward to going on the Southwest trip. But I couldn’t imagine that I could get a lot of memories and experiences on this trip. During this time, we went to New Mexico and Arizona. In New Mexico, I went to Santa Fe and New Mexico University. After that, I went to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Each place has different culture and geography. So I was really surprised and impressed by them. Finally, I got three most amazing memories of the Southwest Trip. First, one of my most amazing memories of South West Trip was downtown in Santa Fe. First of all, I was really impressed by Adobe buildings. I had never seen Adobe buildings before and I thought their design was totally different design from Spokane. The color of the adobe was brown and some of the walls were turquoise blue. So there were a lot of com

Really Faburous Southwest Trip

I had an absolutely amazing experience on the Southwest trip in mid-October. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city areas, delicious food and performances, and culture. I spent a lot of wonderful time with my friends and teachers in Santa Fe, Black Bart’s Restaurant and the Grand Canyon. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city, delicious food and performance, and culture. First, my one of impressive places was Santa Fe Plaza. There were brown houses and buildings made of adobe, and the doors and window frames and decorations were colorful. I like passionate red and turquoise blue color because these colors match the adobe brown color. Also, there were many gift shops in the Plaza, and we could find a lot of native Americans gifts such as dream catchers, pottery, fabrics, unique fashion accessories, dishes, and traditional clothes. I bought a dreamcatcher, some pretty earrings, a ring, and postcards, so I was very happy. It rained at nig