Skip to main content

Unforgettable Portland Trip

Interesting Signboard in Downtown
I had a great time with my friends and teachers during the Portland Trip. We visited many places. All of them were awesome, but especially I have three favorite places; Reed College, Powell's City of Books, and Portland Saturday Market. I was deeply impressed by them, and enjoyed spending time there.

First, I was really impressed by Reed College's unique study style. A women who gave us guidance said that most classes are discussion style in this college. Of course there are some lecture style classes, but discussion is the main study style in this college. The students always discuss many topics no matter if they are in class or outside. Therefore, this campus has many benches and some swing couches. They make students comfortable for their discussion. Also, I was surprised that students can take exams at any place where they can relax. It means teachers trust that students will not cheat on their examinations, and students answer to their theachers' trust. In addition, students can't know their own grade, because teachers don't give their students grades, they give students only comments. Reed College believes that the most important thing is how students study, not what they study. That's why teachers don't tell students grades. The students study subjects which they can learn with passion, without caring about grades. I was very surprised by their study style, and their passion for studying. I got energy from Reed College people.

Second, I enjoyed spending time at Powell's City of Books. At first, I was surprised how big it was. I knew that this book store is the biggest book store in the world, but I didn't expect it to be so big. I couldn't believe that this was a book store. I've never seen such a big book store. Inside of the building, there were tons of books. The shelves were filled with books from top to bottom. I've never thought how many books there are in the world before I visited there, but I got curious about that. While I was in this store, I felt that I was buried in the books. The books came from all over the world. I found many other language books, such as Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, Russian, Korean, not only English. The view which there were many kinds of languages books in the same shelf was very interesting. I had a good experience at this book store.

Finally, I had a great time with vendors at Portland Saturday Market. There were bunch of stands. Each stand sold different stuff, for example, jewelry, soap, knitwear, paintings, and so on. I talked with vendors about their stands. Almost all vendors said that the stuff which they were selling was made by themselves. They sold handmade stuff only at the Market. A women vendor who sold soap said that she made all the soap by herself with natural things, and as a proof, her skin was very soft and smooth. She was very friendly, and it was a good opportunity to have a conversation. While I walked through stands, I realized that the stands came from all the countries of the world. Usually, general markets have stands which sell local stuff. However, Portland Saturday Market has many kinds of stands. I found Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai stands. In addition, vendors also came from all over the world. I felt good, because various races people were enjoyed selling and talking there. The view which I saw at Portland Saturday Market was very unusual and interesting to me.

I really enjoyed spending time at these three places. I learned Portland is a very unique place, and the people are proud of being unique. I had a fruitful experience at Portland.

Popular posts from this blog

Unforgettable Southwest Trip

I went on a totally amazing Southwest trip with my classmates. The trip was my first time to go to the Southwest so everything was new to me. Sarah, Anikke and Bethany came with us. They made our trip more exciting. I’m happy I could go on this trip with them and I had a lot of great experiences. First, I really enjoyed New Mexico. It was chilly but not too cold. I went to the Old Town in  Albuquerque, New Mexico. I liked the Old Town because there are many cute things and good restaurants in there. For example, I found a gate that was decorated with a lot of red chili peppers. I had never seen anything like that before so I was very surprised and it looked like a lot of flowers from a distance. The red chili peppers were absolutely gorgeous. Not only that, I found a great restaurant. I forgot the name of the restaurant but they have really delicious Mexican food. They gave me some Mexican chips for free and recommended that I eat the chips with honey. I really like Mexican chip

Really Faburous Southwest Trip

I had an absolutely amazing experience on the Southwest trip in mid-October. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city areas, delicious food and performances, and culture. I spent a lot of wonderful time with my friends and teachers in Santa Fe, Black Bart’s Restaurant and the Grand Canyon. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city, delicious food and performance, and culture. First, my one of impressive places was Santa Fe Plaza. There were brown houses and buildings made of adobe, and the doors and window frames and decorations were colorful. I like passionate red and turquoise blue color because these colors match the adobe brown color. Also, there were many gift shops in the Plaza, and we could find a lot of native Americans gifts such as dream catchers, pottery, fabrics, unique fashion accessories, dishes, and traditional clothes. I bought a dreamcatcher, some pretty earrings, a ring, and postcards, so I was very happy. It rained at nig

My Valuable Southwest Trip

Last week, we took a trip to the Southwest for 7 days. This trip was an absolutely wonderful memory. I had never been to these areas so I was stimulated by every things, for example, cactus, adobe style buildings, Native American culture and amazing dessert views. It is one of the most interesting trips I ever took, because I experienced some rare things like visiting Grand Canyon, visiting high school and so on. On this trip I could understand about Indian culture from a folk art museum. I would like to introduce some my best memories on this Southwest trip. My first best memory is Georgia O’Keef museum. Actually, before this trip, I was not familiar with her and didn’t know about any of her artworks, but I was looking forward to visiting here because I like art museums. Her artworks were very unique, abstract and absolutely fabulous, and these were very fresh to me. I especially liked bone’s paintings which one of the most famous her artwork, because the color contrast is very c