Skip to main content

Unforgettable Memories in Portland

I really enjoyed the Portland trip. During trip, I went to various kinds of places which include other colleges, shops, and memorials. Then, I could feel different culture, Japanese, and Japanese-American history. I had three memorable experiences there.

Special experience
First, I got a special experience when I went to Columbia Basin College. There, we met some students who study Japanese. We were separated into small groups for talking with them. My partner was Haruna. We talked with Amanda and Newton. Amanda is a freshman. I was surprised at her age, because she is sixteen years old! When I was that age, I was a freshman in high school. She taught us about the system of grade skipping at her school. She graduated her high school after only two years. Then, I felt American culture is dissimilar culture to Japan. In Japan, it is not usual. However this situation would be common here, so I can see a diverse generation. During our conversation, we explained about our presentation. This was good training for me, but it was so difficult. My presentation topic is Japanese elementary school education, and I describe elementary school student’s life. I have to explain to them who don’t know about Japanese elementary school. When I talked about this to them, I tried to speak without my research paper, because it’s not good to just read it. Nevertheless, it was so difficult for me still. I felt I require more practice before my presentation. After I finished talking about that, they gave me some good advice. They said I need more deep explanation. Before my presentation, I have to explain more to audience who don’t know about Japanese culture. I could clarify what I should do for my presentation. It’s a particular experience for me.

Japanese snack!!
Next, Uwajimaya was an impressive incident for me, because it was my first time to go to an Asian market in the U.S. Uwajimaya is a high quality Asian grocery and gift market, so I could feel “Japan” there. I didn’t think that I would buy some Japanese foods such as natto, umeboshi in America. There are actual Japanese food materials which we can purchase at a Japanese store. The shop made me exhilarated  Also, there is Kinokuniya which is a famous Japanese book store. I could see Japanese comics, magazines, and books. I was surprised at the price, because everything was twofold the cost. I couldn’t believe these prices. It was a splendid occasion to visit Asian market in America.
consequential memorial

Finally, Japanese-American Memorial was a consequential learning for me. During this semester, we read “Weedflower”. This book is a historical novel, so it taught us about Japanese-Americans. The story is based on a real story, but I couldn’t believe the history.  By visiting there, I felt that the history was real. There are thirteen stones about the history of Issei and their descendants. I could read short poems and names of internment camps. They emphasize Japanese-American history. It was an impact things for me, but I felt Japanese-American history more and more. I was proud of visiting there and learned about this history. This memorial was good for understanding about “Weedflower” more deeply, so it was important to visit that place.

During this trip, I could have unforgettable experiences. I was glad to be able to go to there as an extension student. I thank my parents for permitting me to come back here. I could get these wonderful experiences here, so I want to talk about my unforgettable memories to them.

Popular posts from this blog

Unforgettable Southwest Trip

I went on a totally amazing Southwest trip with my classmates. The trip was my first time to go to the Southwest so everything was new to me. Sarah, Anikke and Bethany came with us. They made our trip more exciting. I’m happy I could go on this trip with them and I had a lot of great experiences. First, I really enjoyed New Mexico. It was chilly but not too cold. I went to the Old Town in  Albuquerque, New Mexico. I liked the Old Town because there are many cute things and good restaurants in there. For example, I found a gate that was decorated with a lot of red chili peppers. I had never seen anything like that before so I was very surprised and it looked like a lot of flowers from a distance. The red chili peppers were absolutely gorgeous. Not only that, I found a great restaurant. I forgot the name of the restaurant but they have really delicious Mexican food. They gave me some Mexican chips for free and recommended that I eat the chips with honey. I really like Mexican chip

Really Faburous Southwest Trip

I had an absolutely amazing experience on the Southwest trip in mid-October. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city areas, delicious food and performances, and culture. I spent a lot of wonderful time with my friends and teachers in Santa Fe, Black Bart’s Restaurant and the Grand Canyon. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city, delicious food and performance, and culture. First, my one of impressive places was Santa Fe Plaza. There were brown houses and buildings made of adobe, and the doors and window frames and decorations were colorful. I like passionate red and turquoise blue color because these colors match the adobe brown color. Also, there were many gift shops in the Plaza, and we could find a lot of native Americans gifts such as dream catchers, pottery, fabrics, unique fashion accessories, dishes, and traditional clothes. I bought a dreamcatcher, some pretty earrings, a ring, and postcards, so I was very happy. It rained at nig

My Valuable Southwest Trip

Last week, we took a trip to the Southwest for 7 days. This trip was an absolutely wonderful memory. I had never been to these areas so I was stimulated by every things, for example, cactus, adobe style buildings, Native American culture and amazing dessert views. It is one of the most interesting trips I ever took, because I experienced some rare things like visiting Grand Canyon, visiting high school and so on. On this trip I could understand about Indian culture from a folk art museum. I would like to introduce some my best memories on this Southwest trip. My first best memory is Georgia O’Keef museum. Actually, before this trip, I was not familiar with her and didn’t know about any of her artworks, but I was looking forward to visiting here because I like art museums. Her artworks were very unique, abstract and absolutely fabulous, and these were very fresh to me. I especially liked bone’s paintings which one of the most famous her artwork, because the color contrast is very c