Skip to main content

Surprising Discovery in America

About a month has pasted since I came to Mukogawa Fort Wright Institute in September. I thought I would not find new things at first, but I finally discovered new things in Spokane recently. There are three small surprising things in my life in Spokane.
At Washington State University

First, I have been really amazed to learn experiences how difficult it is to have conversation between second language learners. I'm immersed in studying English for sure now. When studying English, I listen carefully when I talk or hear something in English. I have realized my English has improved more than I thought because of my experiences at some universities. I visited Washington State University and met with international students a month ago. At that time, I talked with Taiwanese and Chinese students. I hoped to have a great time with them. However, I couldn't talk with them easily. We both have original accents, so it was difficult for me to understand what they said. I was a little overwhelmed. I realized how difficult it is to understand English from Asian. In addition, I thought my English was also not clear for them to understand. I'd like to figure out how to practice in improve my English skill.

Secondly, I was surprised that I smile at people I don't know. I couldn't talk with strangers before I came to America, but Americans talk like friends even if they don’t know each other. Last semester, I thought this thing was unusual for me. I didn't smile and talk with someone who I didn't know then. I felt a little afraid of them to talk. Unlike last semester, I often smile at people outside of MFWI when I see them. In addition, I have no more fear than before about Americans. That is a good thing for me. I got used to communicate with Americans better than before. I am amazed that I lost my fear of Americans.

Awesome Hanging Out
Finally, I was astonished that my dorm life was limited. I definitely realized our life is restricted. I didn't care about the rules at MFWI without a doubt before. There are two reasons why I thought so. One of them is that I hear the story of RAs or some friends in Spokane like to hanging out. The place where we can go is limit. We can go somewhere only by city bus. Unlike us, RAs can go anywhere they want to go for sure. Another thing, I hung out with my American friends last week. For me, it was such an amazing day ever because they took me many places and talked in English. That means I can enjoy hanging out and also learning English. I wish the time would continue forever. I thought, I would go out every day if I were an exchange student of university here. However, I'm satisfied with this life which has good environment to study English, and I can tell how safe my life is here. My teachers and advisers protect our life in America. Many rules are definitely for our safety.

That's why, these things are surprising for me. I don't think I discover some new things easily, but I hope I find more new things. The time that I spent in Spokane is quickly passing, so I need more things to surprise me.  

Popular posts from this blog

Unforgettable Southwest Trip

I went on a totally amazing Southwest trip with my classmates. The trip was my first time to go to the Southwest so everything was new to me. Sarah, Anikke and Bethany came with us. They made our trip more exciting. I’m happy I could go on this trip with them and I had a lot of great experiences. First, I really enjoyed New Mexico. It was chilly but not too cold. I went to the Old Town in  Albuquerque, New Mexico. I liked the Old Town because there are many cute things and good restaurants in there. For example, I found a gate that was decorated with a lot of red chili peppers. I had never seen anything like that before so I was very surprised and it looked like a lot of flowers from a distance. The red chili peppers were absolutely gorgeous. Not only that, I found a great restaurant. I forgot the name of the restaurant but they have really delicious Mexican food. They gave me some Mexican chips for free and recommended that I eat the chips with honey. I really like Mexican chip

My most Amazing Three Memories of the Southwest Trip

Last week, I went to the Southwest with all of the Extension students. Before the trip, we learned about history and culture of the Southwest in American west class. So I was looking forward to going on the Southwest trip. But I couldn’t imagine that I could get a lot of memories and experiences on this trip. During this time, we went to New Mexico and Arizona. In New Mexico, I went to Santa Fe and New Mexico University. After that, I went to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Each place has different culture and geography. So I was really surprised and impressed by them. Finally, I got three most amazing memories of the Southwest Trip. First, one of my most amazing memories of South West Trip was downtown in Santa Fe. First of all, I was really impressed by Adobe buildings. I had never seen Adobe buildings before and I thought their design was totally different design from Spokane. The color of the adobe was brown and some of the walls were turquoise blue. So there were a lot of com

Really Faburous Southwest Trip

I had an absolutely amazing experience on the Southwest trip in mid-October. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city areas, delicious food and performances, and culture. I spent a lot of wonderful time with my friends and teachers in Santa Fe, Black Bart’s Restaurant and the Grand Canyon. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city, delicious food and performance, and culture. First, my one of impressive places was Santa Fe Plaza. There were brown houses and buildings made of adobe, and the doors and window frames and decorations were colorful. I like passionate red and turquoise blue color because these colors match the adobe brown color. Also, there were many gift shops in the Plaza, and we could find a lot of native Americans gifts such as dream catchers, pottery, fabrics, unique fashion accessories, dishes, and traditional clothes. I bought a dreamcatcher, some pretty earrings, a ring, and postcards, so I was very happy. It rained at nig