Skip to main content

Significant Memory in Portland Trip

A trip is a special event in our life and tells a lot of new things. The Portland trip became one of my unforgettable and wonderful memories which I can't make at MFWI campus. The trip was beneficial for me because I learned plenty other of American culture and history in four days. My most impressive places and event are the Columbia George Discovery Center, Japanese-American Memorial and PSU (Portland State University) volleyball game.

First, I expanded my knowledge at the Columbia George Discovery Center. One of the interesting things which I learned about there is Lewis and Clark. Although I had studied it before the trip in American West class, I got new interesting information about them. For example, Lewis and Clark had no doctor on their journey. I saw some tools to cure disease and injury. I was astonished that the ways to cure them were risky and painful. I realized how hard their journey was. Another new discovery of mine is the Great Horned Owl. A woman explained distinctive features of the owl. Surprisingly, they don't have any skills to build their nests. They steal nests from other kinds of birds instead. In addition, they turn their heads because they don't move their eyes. I knew fascinating points of learning animals. I also took an interest in old towns in America. In the center, there was a room like a town in the ninteenth century in America. The buildings had some colors, and there were some shops. I felt I was at the old time so I could imagine easily. I understood what the town was like. I also liked the atmosphere. Thus, I enjoyed learning a lot at the Columbia George Discovery Center.

Second, I found out that the Japanese-American Memorial is a very important place. Before I read "Weedflower", I didn't know about Japanese Americans in World War II well. I learned it at the memorial plus "Weedflower" and a lecture. It showed me about their rights at the time. I was impressed by Japanese American faces which were drawn on two tall stones. The faces looked very hopeless. I realized they had a very hard time. Moreover, poems told me their feelings. Many unhappy poems were carved on stones. My most most shocking poem said "Going home, Feeling cheated Gripping my daughter's hand I tell her we're leaving without emotion". I felt very sad reading it. Then, I saw many broken stones under the poem stones. It represented their broken dreams. I thought they didn't expect their futures because they didn't have rights like white people. Therefore, I learned important things at the Japanese-American Memorial. Many Japanese don't know about it. It is essential for Japanese people to know the truth of Japanese Americans.

Third, I got a new experience at PSU volleyball game. It was my first time to watch a live game.
I enjoyed the atmosphere a lot. I was surprised at the enthusiasm of the spectators. To cheer for PSU team, they made big sounds not only by their voices and hands, but also by their feet. I felt more excited to imitate them. It was also fun. In addition, match time was enjoyable. The spectators stood up when the match time came. I think it made players more energetic. Furthermore, there were many people who wore something green. Green is the PSU color. They seemed to cheer for the team with eagerness. The PSU team finally won. Accordingly, I had a good time sharing strong feelings with other people at the game. I want to go to a volleyball game in Japan to observe diffrences between America and Japan.

Consequently, I had splendid experiences at the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center, Japanese-American Memorial and PSU volleyball game. All I learned and felt were very interesting for me. Through the trip, I saw Ameican culture and history from an other side. The trip was a good opportunities to hear and see new things.




Popular posts from this blog

Unforgettable Southwest Trip

I went on a totally amazing Southwest trip with my classmates. The trip was my first time to go to the Southwest so everything was new to me. Sarah, Anikke and Bethany came with us. They made our trip more exciting. I’m happy I could go on this trip with them and I had a lot of great experiences. First, I really enjoyed New Mexico. It was chilly but not too cold. I went to the Old Town in  Albuquerque, New Mexico. I liked the Old Town because there are many cute things and good restaurants in there. For example, I found a gate that was decorated with a lot of red chili peppers. I had never seen anything like that before so I was very surprised and it looked like a lot of flowers from a distance. The red chili peppers were absolutely gorgeous. Not only that, I found a great restaurant. I forgot the name of the restaurant but they have really delicious Mexican food. They gave me some Mexican chips for free and recommended that I eat the chips with honey. I really like Mexican chip

My most Amazing Three Memories of the Southwest Trip

Last week, I went to the Southwest with all of the Extension students. Before the trip, we learned about history and culture of the Southwest in American west class. So I was looking forward to going on the Southwest trip. But I couldn’t imagine that I could get a lot of memories and experiences on this trip. During this time, we went to New Mexico and Arizona. In New Mexico, I went to Santa Fe and New Mexico University. After that, I went to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Each place has different culture and geography. So I was really surprised and impressed by them. Finally, I got three most amazing memories of the Southwest Trip. First, one of my most amazing memories of South West Trip was downtown in Santa Fe. First of all, I was really impressed by Adobe buildings. I had never seen Adobe buildings before and I thought their design was totally different design from Spokane. The color of the adobe was brown and some of the walls were turquoise blue. So there were a lot of com

Really Faburous Southwest Trip

I had an absolutely amazing experience on the Southwest trip in mid-October. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city areas, delicious food and performances, and culture. I spent a lot of wonderful time with my friends and teachers in Santa Fe, Black Bart’s Restaurant and the Grand Canyon. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city, delicious food and performance, and culture. First, my one of impressive places was Santa Fe Plaza. There were brown houses and buildings made of adobe, and the doors and window frames and decorations were colorful. I like passionate red and turquoise blue color because these colors match the adobe brown color. Also, there were many gift shops in the Plaza, and we could find a lot of native Americans gifts such as dream catchers, pottery, fabrics, unique fashion accessories, dishes, and traditional clothes. I bought a dreamcatcher, some pretty earrings, a ring, and postcards, so I was very happy. It rained at nig