Skip to main content

A Meaningful Portland Trip


I was excited to go on the Portland trip because I could shop without taxes, but I learned many things from the trip besides shopping. This trip became one of my valuable experiences as an extension student.

At first, I went to three American universities, and that was a precious experience for me because I could see the differences between American universities. First, I went to Columbia Basin College. It is a two-year university like SFCC next to MFWI. The campus was pretty small. I met Japanese class students, and I thought their Japanese listening and speaking skill were high level. Next, I went to Reed College. This college was also small, but students seemed positive about studying. The campus was filled with artistic drawings and the buildings were nice. Even in restrooms, there were lots of drawings, and I thought students in this college were imaginative. Third, I went to Portland State University. This university was quite huge, and the campus was part of the city. I didn't go to the campus, but I could see there were lots of students who were from other countries. Even in one state of U.S.A., there were differences between some universities and colleges.

Dynamic Multnomah Falls
Next, I had a great time at Columbia Gorge Discovery Center to learn the history about Lewis and Clark. I had already learned about the Lewis and Clark discovery, but I could see their life plainly at the museum. A man had a lecture with lots of  equipment which they had actually used. I was surprised at the way to cure an injured body. They didn't have doctors, so they got rid of their illness. A man showed me tools to put teeth away. The lecture was very interesting for me. After the lecture, I looked around the museum, and I saw many interesting things. I saw the canoe, and I thought it was longer than I expected. I was interested in the exhibit which showed how many meals they ate during the journey. They ate nine pounds of meat per day per person, which means they killed a bunch of animals during the journey. All exhibits at the museum were new and interesting for me.

Third, I felt nature a lot during this trip. Unfortunately, it was cloudy and rainy for four days. On the last day, I went to Multnomah Falls. I was astonished to see the large and dynamic water fall. It splashed and got me wet. Even though it rained hard, we went hiking in the mountain. The trail was unforgettably steep, and I had a hard time walking. What surprised me was that many American people visited to hike, and they walked without an umbrella. I couldn't understand why people came to the mountain on such a bad weather day. Also I thought about Lewis and Clark journey while I was hiking. Lewis and Clark also walked that steep trail with bad weather. I was reminded that they had a strong belief for discovery.

Through this trip, I learned American culture and history. I found some differences of American universities, about Lewis and Clark, and the nature in Oregon. This trip gave me good experiences.

Popular posts from this blog

Unforgettable Southwest Trip

I went on a totally amazing Southwest trip with my classmates. The trip was my first time to go to the Southwest so everything was new to me. Sarah, Anikke and Bethany came with us. They made our trip more exciting. I’m happy I could go on this trip with them and I had a lot of great experiences. First, I really enjoyed New Mexico. It was chilly but not too cold. I went to the Old Town in  Albuquerque, New Mexico. I liked the Old Town because there are many cute things and good restaurants in there. For example, I found a gate that was decorated with a lot of red chili peppers. I had never seen anything like that before so I was very surprised and it looked like a lot of flowers from a distance. The red chili peppers were absolutely gorgeous. Not only that, I found a great restaurant. I forgot the name of the restaurant but they have really delicious Mexican food. They gave me some Mexican chips for free and recommended that I eat the chips with honey. I really like Mexican chip

My most Amazing Three Memories of the Southwest Trip

Last week, I went to the Southwest with all of the Extension students. Before the trip, we learned about history and culture of the Southwest in American west class. So I was looking forward to going on the Southwest trip. But I couldn’t imagine that I could get a lot of memories and experiences on this trip. During this time, we went to New Mexico and Arizona. In New Mexico, I went to Santa Fe and New Mexico University. After that, I went to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Each place has different culture and geography. So I was really surprised and impressed by them. Finally, I got three most amazing memories of the Southwest Trip. First, one of my most amazing memories of South West Trip was downtown in Santa Fe. First of all, I was really impressed by Adobe buildings. I had never seen Adobe buildings before and I thought their design was totally different design from Spokane. The color of the adobe was brown and some of the walls were turquoise blue. So there were a lot of com

Really Faburous Southwest Trip

I had an absolutely amazing experience on the Southwest trip in mid-October. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city areas, delicious food and performances, and culture. I spent a lot of wonderful time with my friends and teachers in Santa Fe, Black Bart’s Restaurant and the Grand Canyon. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city, delicious food and performance, and culture. First, my one of impressive places was Santa Fe Plaza. There were brown houses and buildings made of adobe, and the doors and window frames and decorations were colorful. I like passionate red and turquoise blue color because these colors match the adobe brown color. Also, there were many gift shops in the Plaza, and we could find a lot of native Americans gifts such as dream catchers, pottery, fabrics, unique fashion accessories, dishes, and traditional clothes. I bought a dreamcatcher, some pretty earrings, a ring, and postcards, so I was very happy. It rained at nig