Skip to main content

New American Viewpoints

Language and Culture Day which is part of Conversation Class is already my favorite class event at MFWI. I really enjoy taking this fabulous experience because through many discussions, I have learned lots of things that I didn’t know before. It helps me to broaden my horizon. On Tuesday of this week, I had an impressive discussion about volunteerism with four people. I’ve been doing volunteer work since I entered the university, so I was so curious to learn. I had chances to talk with Chad, Don, Karen and Chris. I was especially impressed by Don, Karen and Bill’s ideas of volunteerism.

First of all, I was so moved by Don who is a running expert. It was nice to see and talk with him. He has had many running experiences including Tokyo and Nishinomiya-city Marathon. Moreover, he is the person who brought Blooms Day in the Spokane Community. I was so surprised to learn about that. According to Don, it was not an easy thing because at that time, he was a teacher at elementary school. He didn’t have enough time to develop it but through many supports, he was able to introduce a fantastic event. I was very impressed by his energetic power of action and I’m sure his action has moved lots of people in the Spokane Community.

The other unexpected thing that astounded me was learning about Karen’s idea regarding volunteerism at Women’s and Children’s Free Restaurant. I was very lucky to have an opportunity to speak with her because I am interested in what she is doing for the Spokane Community. According to her story, the restaurant has two missions. One is providing nutritious food and the other is offering hospitality. I was really surprised to hear the last mission because my idea of relationships between beneficiaries and volunteers is that they should be equal. However, her idea is different because she treats beneficiaries as guests. It was a new idea for me and interesting to learn. I’m looking forward to knowing more about the restaurant as we participate.

Last but not least, I was impressed by the idea of Bill’s American volunteerism. Misako asked a question to all guests after the discussion. Her question was about the meaning of volunteering to them. I heard many curious ideas about volunteerism but I can’t forget Bill’s American idea. His answer was like this; it is our duty. I’ve never thought that doing volunteer work is a duty for me. I do volunteer work because I would like to do it; however, his idea was different. If he does volunteer work, he can be a good citizen. He has been taught he should help and support others since he was a child. In order to be a successful person, helping others is an essential way. By hearing his idea, I realized that Japanese don’t have this way of thinking. It was very interesting to learn and I realized a new American perspective.

I had a great time discussing volunteerism with local people in the Spokane Community. I’m sure my perspectives extended more and I felt I want to meet more new people to have a deep understanding of American Culture. I’m looking forward to working for Women’s and Children’s Free Restaurant with my energetic extension members to discover more new American points of view!

Popular posts from this blog

Unforgettable Southwest Trip

I went on a totally amazing Southwest trip with my classmates. The trip was my first time to go to the Southwest so everything was new to me. Sarah, Anikke and Bethany came with us. They made our trip more exciting. I’m happy I could go on this trip with them and I had a lot of great experiences. First, I really enjoyed New Mexico. It was chilly but not too cold. I went to the Old Town in  Albuquerque, New Mexico. I liked the Old Town because there are many cute things and good restaurants in there. For example, I found a gate that was decorated with a lot of red chili peppers. I had never seen anything like that before so I was very surprised and it looked like a lot of flowers from a distance. The red chili peppers were absolutely gorgeous. Not only that, I found a great restaurant. I forgot the name of the restaurant but they have really delicious Mexican food. They gave me some Mexican chips for free and recommended that I eat the chips with honey. I really like Mexican chip

My most Amazing Three Memories of the Southwest Trip

Last week, I went to the Southwest with all of the Extension students. Before the trip, we learned about history and culture of the Southwest in American west class. So I was looking forward to going on the Southwest trip. But I couldn’t imagine that I could get a lot of memories and experiences on this trip. During this time, we went to New Mexico and Arizona. In New Mexico, I went to Santa Fe and New Mexico University. After that, I went to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Each place has different culture and geography. So I was really surprised and impressed by them. Finally, I got three most amazing memories of the Southwest Trip. First, one of my most amazing memories of South West Trip was downtown in Santa Fe. First of all, I was really impressed by Adobe buildings. I had never seen Adobe buildings before and I thought their design was totally different design from Spokane. The color of the adobe was brown and some of the walls were turquoise blue. So there were a lot of com

Really Faburous Southwest Trip

I had an absolutely amazing experience on the Southwest trip in mid-October. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city areas, delicious food and performances, and culture. I spent a lot of wonderful time with my friends and teachers in Santa Fe, Black Bart’s Restaurant and the Grand Canyon. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city, delicious food and performance, and culture. First, my one of impressive places was Santa Fe Plaza. There were brown houses and buildings made of adobe, and the doors and window frames and decorations were colorful. I like passionate red and turquoise blue color because these colors match the adobe brown color. Also, there were many gift shops in the Plaza, and we could find a lot of native Americans gifts such as dream catchers, pottery, fabrics, unique fashion accessories, dishes, and traditional clothes. I bought a dreamcatcher, some pretty earrings, a ring, and postcards, so I was very happy. It rained at nig