Skip to main content

Changing Cultures

I experienced a lot of amazing culture shock when I first arrived in America. Then I went back to Japan and I returned to America again!! There are three examples of when I experienced culture shock and return culture shock.

First, I was astonished by American education. When I went to a high school, I felt how free it is here. Then I had an opportunity to talk with high school students. I noticed some differences between Japan and America. American students can go to school with make up, wear pierced earrings, eat food and drink during the class, and some people have tattoos. I really envy them. Also they are more independent than Japanese students. Most students have initiative, volunteerism and independence. They are thinking about their future seriously. Also many people go to college with their own money or scholarship. I didn’t know about making such great effort, so I made many mistakes.

Second, I noticed Japanese school rules are too strict. They spoil the students because overly strict rules means teachers don’t respect and trust students, I think. After visiting the high school, I have a question about why so many Japanese students depend on people. In my opinion, strict rules do it. Most teachers believe that strict rules are good for students. Of course following rules is important for us and they protect us from bad people, but too strict rules are counterproductive to students. I could learn these differences from America.

Students Experiencing Changing Cultures
Finally, I could learn about the positive American national character. For example, their greetings, how to express emotions, and a cheerful personality. On the way to Commons, everyone said greetings to me. In Japan we don’t say greetings on the road to unknown people, so it made me confused and surprised. Also after finishing my first class, I was really startled because the teachers were hyperactive and class was loud. In Japan most teachers are quiet and the class atmosphere is, too, so I couldn’t get used to this situation, but I feel comfortable and I like it now. We spent on a long time in Spokane, so finally I could say greetings and express emotions, like hugging, naturally. I was really surprised at myself and it made me happy. After I went back to Japan, these habits were ingrained in my body. Sometime people saw me in a weird way because it was Japan. I learned the American national character and I’m glad about that. American and Japanese education system have some differences and similarities as well as advantages and disadvantages.

If I hadn’t been here, I couldn’t have learned such fabulous things. These cultural differences have changed my personality to be positive, and I’m proud to learn about that. I’m really happy to return here again.

Popular posts from this blog

Unforgettable Southwest Trip

I went on a totally amazing Southwest trip with my classmates. The trip was my first time to go to the Southwest so everything was new to me. Sarah, Anikke and Bethany came with us. They made our trip more exciting. I’m happy I could go on this trip with them and I had a lot of great experiences. First, I really enjoyed New Mexico. It was chilly but not too cold. I went to the Old Town in  Albuquerque, New Mexico. I liked the Old Town because there are many cute things and good restaurants in there. For example, I found a gate that was decorated with a lot of red chili peppers. I had never seen anything like that before so I was very surprised and it looked like a lot of flowers from a distance. The red chili peppers were absolutely gorgeous. Not only that, I found a great restaurant. I forgot the name of the restaurant but they have really delicious Mexican food. They gave me some Mexican chips for free and recommended that I eat the chips with honey. I really like Mexican chip

My most Amazing Three Memories of the Southwest Trip

Last week, I went to the Southwest with all of the Extension students. Before the trip, we learned about history and culture of the Southwest in American west class. So I was looking forward to going on the Southwest trip. But I couldn’t imagine that I could get a lot of memories and experiences on this trip. During this time, we went to New Mexico and Arizona. In New Mexico, I went to Santa Fe and New Mexico University. After that, I went to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Each place has different culture and geography. So I was really surprised and impressed by them. Finally, I got three most amazing memories of the Southwest Trip. First, one of my most amazing memories of South West Trip was downtown in Santa Fe. First of all, I was really impressed by Adobe buildings. I had never seen Adobe buildings before and I thought their design was totally different design from Spokane. The color of the adobe was brown and some of the walls were turquoise blue. So there were a lot of com

Really Faburous Southwest Trip

I had an absolutely amazing experience on the Southwest trip in mid-October. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city areas, delicious food and performances, and culture. I spent a lot of wonderful time with my friends and teachers in Santa Fe, Black Bart’s Restaurant and the Grand Canyon. I enjoyed a good deal of beautiful scenery of nature and city, delicious food and performance, and culture. First, my one of impressive places was Santa Fe Plaza. There were brown houses and buildings made of adobe, and the doors and window frames and decorations were colorful. I like passionate red and turquoise blue color because these colors match the adobe brown color. Also, there were many gift shops in the Plaza, and we could find a lot of native Americans gifts such as dream catchers, pottery, fabrics, unique fashion accessories, dishes, and traditional clothes. I bought a dreamcatcher, some pretty earrings, a ring, and postcards, so I was very happy. It rained at nig